Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Blind Spots!

"A man should never be ashamed to own he has been in the wrong, which is but saying, in other words, that he is wiser today than he was yesterday". - Alexander Pope

I have shared on this blog, how once a week, I meet with my two sons, Caleb (10) & Noah (6). It has been awhile since I have reported on our catch up's. Tonights was a good one, so let me share with you what we discussed...

Tonight we discussed how easy it is to blame someone else for a mistake/problem, instead of asking if we are the problem or the cause of the problem. Which is what some might call a "blind spot"

Imagine this scenario: Dave walks up to the waitress at the club house and asks about the lunch special. He's wearing his new golf shoes. The waitress always wears sandals. Dave accidentally gets too close. He doesn't mean to, but he stands on her foot. While Dave chats, her face begins turning red. Then, without warning, the waitress hauls off and slaps him hard enough to send him silly. She turns and limps back on one foot to the kitchen. Dave shakes his head and says to himself, "What's her problem"? Dave has a blind spot.

You and I have blind spots like Dave. What are mine? I don't know. If I knew, it wouldn't be my blind spot. Knowing we have blind spots should cause us to be a little less self - confident. Maybe we're not all right and maybe everybody else isn't all wrong. It ought to make us stop and consider our ways.

Maybe somebody has tried to tell us about our blind spots already, but we didn't believe them. Maybe we just figured they had a problem and were blaming us for it.

The next time you have a disagreement with somebody, or perhaps have some other trouble on your hands, pause and ask yourself, "Am I part of this problem?"

If you have the courage, though not many men do, try going a step further. Ask the person opposite you, "Do you think I have a blind spot that is causing trouble between us?" You might be surprised to hear what they say.

It is the godly man who looks for his own foot before he criticizes somebody else...

Tonight Caleb & Noah & I were able to ask each other about our blind spots. You know what was cool? I had an opportunity to hear my son's observations of their dad. WOW! How humbling! I have some blind spots! I need to work on them!

I was encouraged as my older son listened to his younger brother and how Noah listened to Caleb. Then watching them reconcile and pray together...

We have family members who can loving show us our blind spots. Thank you Lord!!!

No comments: