Friday, December 12, 2008

Habakkuk 3: 17-18

As fathers, husbands, sons, sons-n-law, brothers, men in general, we are faced with trying and sometimes challenging circumstances. And whether we like it or not, our wife and children pick up on that.

When they pick up on it, how do they observe we are handling the trial we are being entrusted with?

At the moment, I am being strengthened through trials. The question is - what are my wife and children and friends observing in their husband, father, friend? A mate of mind said to me the other day, "don't loose your joy in these circumstances mate". My son said to me last night, "dad, you seem angry!"

So clearly, joy is not being evidenced! I'm not angry, but I am allowing myself to let my mind wander and question if God is going to come through. Will He? Won't He? Has He ever let me down? No! But sometimes I do allow myself to play that game too long and it breeds unhelpful thoughts which then affects my joy.

I was reading some helpful thoughts from one of my hero's Charles Spurgeon. He was offering some cross centered reflections on these verses from Hanakkuk.

A song of joy, in a state of affliction:

Habakkuk 3:17-19

"Though the fig tree should not blossom,
nor fruit be on the vines,
the produce of the olive fail
and the fields yield no food,
the flock be cut off from the fold
and there be no herd in the stalls,
yet I will rejoice in the Lord;
I will take joy in the God of my
salvation.
GOD, the Lord is my strength;
he makes my feet like the deer's
he makes me tread on my high places."

Oh Lord, thank you for salvation! You are my strength! In You I trust!

No comments: