Wednesday, June 10, 2009

TIMING! TIMING! TIMING!

Timing - Timing - Timing...

It happened again this morning. I was presented with an opportunity to serve my wife, but instead I looked at the clock and thought - 'why now God, I'm about to walk out the door'.

Here's the setting...

My pregnant wife is sitting on the bed with a note pad and pen and I notice dollar figures are being written down. Budget stuff! I am thinking, I need to go but I also need to serve my wife. So my wife updates me about a promised present that we have not been able to provide yet, and tells me about a conversation she has overheard the kids having about a hopeful outing they are expecting to go on.

Well, in my godly way I address the hopeful outing in a very non gracious and mater of fact way. This then tempts my wife to fear I will execute this sort of tone with my children which will hurt them deeply.

In the mean time, kids are coming in and out of our bedroom as we are trying to have one of those important, whispering/parent discussions and the time has clicked over to 8:11. I need to leave by 8:00 to be at work on time - So what do I do? I grab my bag and walk out of the house, throwing a good bye to one daughter and waving to another who is waving to me from her bedroom window, sadly.

I'm sure you may have experienced an event like this in your home? It's not pleasant is it? You kinda want to yell and go , ARGGGGG?????

As I am undertaking the 25 minute drive to work I am thinking of how unrighteous my behaviour is and what I just modeled for my children. I think Lord I need to make this right. Please forgive me! After that I called the kids and apologised for not saying goodbye to them and asked for their forgiveness.

What about your wife you ask? Great question!

I have learned that my wife needs abit of cooling down time when discussions like this happen. So I got to work and sent her an email to apologise and explain my thinking abit better. Thankfully by God's gracious kindness my wife forgave me and we kissed and made up!

Here's the issue - there are several - But the biggest one I think is this: TIMING is so important!

WHY is timing important? Because these sort of conversations need time and discussion. You see, if I am not providing proper leadership for my wife, then she is going to feel fearful or anxious. Why would she get like this? Well in my case, it's because I am not taking the time to lead her and care for her. I need to ask her how her day is? How are things in the home going? What sort of needs are there? For her and the children... Which is why date nights/planning nights/family nights are so important!

I share this with you to encourage you! Timing is important! Now I know that sometimes these sort of conversations will happen even if you have lead well - but as I reevaluated what took place in my home this morning, it was as a result of my poor leadership to my wife!

So if you can learn from my mistakes - that's good! I reckon timing is important - ESPECIALLY TIME WITH YOUR BRIDE -

it will only help you better parent with an eternal perspective...

No comments: