Sunday, February 21, 2010

Setting an Example

As a father, I sometimes read instructions from God's Word and want to pass them on to my children. Much like Paul did with Timothy. Paul instructs Timothy - 'Let no one despise you for your youth, but set the believers an example in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity' (1 Tim. 4:12).

My oldest is going to be 13 later this year & I want to be creative in helping him apply this passage to his life now & remind him of it until I'm taken to glory. No he's not going to be a pastor, that I know of, but I want to equip with him some wonderful Scriptures that he can be applying to his life now. I want to encourage him on how he can live in such a way as to be an example to others. However, I don't think it is just about instructing him but actually setting and example for him. This instruction from Paul to Timothy is a pretty big ask when you think about it. And yet, Paul is not asking Timothy to do something that he is not carrying out himself - aye?

In my great desire to serve my son & instruct him with what Scripture says, I think I need to begin to evaluate how am I going in my own life.

So - How am I setting an example to my wife and children in:

speech: What am I talking about? What is my tone? How's my vocabulary? Am I being vulgar & unhelpful? Is my speech full of grace & gratitude or complaining and negative?

life (conduct): Am I lazy? Am I disciplined in personal area's of study, health, finances, work? Is there evidence of righteous living?

love: Does my son see me loving my wife the way Christ loved the Church? Am I loving my son by talking about the difficult things - not just the easy things? Am I loving my Savior more & more each day? Am I sacrificially loving others.

faith: Am I modeling how to be a faithful husband and father to my family? Am I showing them how to be a faithful member to the body of Christ? Faith is not unbelief, but faithfulness & commitment.

purity: Am I being sexually pure? Am I bringing things into my home that are going to cause my kids to stumble or be unhelpful to my bride? More importantly to my Savior?

You know, there are area's that I am not doing so well in. Area's that I desire to repent of and change. And you know, having this little reflection brings me such hope. Why? Because my salvation is secure! Yea, God loves me just the same as He did yesterday. I can win no more of His favor by addressing these issues. I can however know He is gently changing me to be more like His Son! I am so grateful for His loving conviction. Oh what a Savior!

Hey dads, fathers, husbands, grandpas, uncles - men of God - let's set an example for our children!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great advice young man - thanks
Pops