Monday, March 31, 2008

The X-ray Trip















This is Noah! He is a rambunctious 6 yr old. He makes us laugh so much. He is full of beans! I just love the little guy.

Today he had to go and have an x-ray done of his nose because his adenoids are a bit bigger than they should be. Why is this a problem? Because it effects your breathing, makes you snore like a bear, along with causing tooth decay (which is how we discovered this problem!).

Nevertheless, today he and his mummy went to the hospital for an x-ray. This is his second trip to the hospital this month... He is feeling pretty special. The trip earlier was because he could not walk, thanks to a flu virus, at least until the matron hollered at him to get a move on! Lo and behold...he walked before my very eyes... little rug rat! (though it was with great pain and tears!) Today was not as dramatic or damaging. It was just to get the x-ray done.

When he returned home this afternoon he looked like he was on cloud nine. He told me how he had a nice doctor who had a cool camera and that he would like one too! Then he told me how he and his mum got a coke and chips, and then went to the Bible book store for some DVD's!

For me, there is some joy in my heart when I hear my son has had a special time with his mum. I think it is special because these times are rare. Rare because in a big family we sometimes fight to find special "alone" moments with each other. But when we do have them, they are forever memories!

Even though it is difficult to have these special "alone" times, hearing the joy in my son's voice and the delight on my wife's face, I realise that I need to fight, protect and plan for these times. As dads I think we should initiate these times, not just for our wife to spend time with the kids, but for ourselves to spend time with our kids. We need to commit to be strategic and purposeful with an eternal perspective in mind...

No comments: