Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Godward Orientation

Godward Orientation! Have you ever thought about it?

Tedd Tripp illustrates Godward orientation like "the set of the sail in a child's life". I get what he is describing. If the sail (influence), in our child's life, is set to head south - it's going to go south. Likewise if the sail (influence) is set to move towards the north, it will head north.

So with that being said, take some time with your bride to consider the influences that are shaping your child(ren)'s life - and then evaluate the Godward orientation.

You see parenting is not just providing good input. In fact it is not just creating a good green house effect, though I do like the concept of a greenhouse, however: As parent's we are to be teaching our children the truths in Scripture. Psalms 58:3 tells us, "Even from birth the wicked go astray, from the womb they are wayward and speak lies." Consider Psalms 51:5 "Surely I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me." These verses clearly tell us that our children, are never morally neutral. You see, our children will either respond to God by faith or they will suppress the truth in unrighteousness. Tripp writes, "If they respond to God by faith, they will find fulfillment in knowing and serving God. If they suppress the truth in unrighteousness, they will ultimately worship and serve the creation rather than the Creator."

Ultimately, God is sovereignly in control over our children's eternal destination. With that being said, I can't imagine standing before my Heavenly Father justifying my lack of Godward orienteering with my children.

My children / Your children - are going to worship something, and we have been given a short time to parent them with an eternal perspective...

No comments: