Saturday, December 5, 2009

What's your perpective in times of trials?


What kind of perspective do you keep when you are going through a trial? Ashamedly, my perspective can sometimes depend on how I am feeling. Am I tired, irritated, frustrated or lethargic.

So what is a trial? When I speak of a trial I am meaning: the act of trying, testing or putting to the proof. (a trial of one's faith). an attempt of effort to do something. a trying, distressing or annoying thing or person.

Trials are very testing, are they not? They can discourage us, frustrate us, tempt us to sin and for some become to much and we give up hope. If you are facing trials of many kinds can I remind you of what James 1:2-4 says? "Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

Listen to this insightful reflections from Milton Vincent on Perspective in Trials:

"More than anything else could ever do, the gospel

enables me to embrace my tribulations and thereby

position myself to gain full benefit from them. For the

gospel is the one great permanent circumstance in

which I live and move; and every hardship in my life

is allowed by God only because it serves His gospel

purposes in me.When I view my circumstances in this

light, I realize that the gospel is not just in piece of

good news that fits into my life somewhere among all

the bad . I realize that the gospel makes

genuinely good news out of every other aspect of my

life, including my severest trials. The good news

about my trials is that God is forcing them to bow to

His gospel purposes and do good unto me by

improving my character and making me more

conformed to the image of Christ.

Preaching the gospel to myself each day provides a

lens through which I can view my trials in this way and

see the true cause for intelligent rejoicing that exists in

them. I can then embrace them as friends and allow

them to do God's good work in me."

This is of great encouragement to me & helps me remember that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purposes. I trust it will serve and encourage you in your current trial or future trial...

No comments: