Sunday, May 11, 2008

Meg's Miscellaneous Monday Mentions

Welcome to another glorious week! I thought I would point you toward the topic of modesty this week. I know, I know.... this subject may have been written about and alluded to, ad nauseum... however, I think it is always something that us girls need to be aware of, and consistently assessing our wardrobes in light of godliness and modest dress.

Awhile ago I sent out an email to a bunch of friends, exhorting them to examine their attire, and possibly that of their daughters', too. I came across this very challenging and blunt article that addresses the way we dress, and what this may do to our brothers in Christ. As I shared with my friends, I was personally challenged by this, as I find it can be easy to assume that no man is looking at this overweight, aging mother of 6, even if my bra strap or cleavage is showing... nothing appealing there folks! But I guess I should be more aware that too much skin showing, or a hint of underwear, can still be enough to cause my brother to stumble (as hard as that may be, since I no longer see myself as a youthful beauty, capable of tempting any man to look twice!!! LOL!!!)

CJ Mahaney has written a new book called 'Worldliness: Resisting the Seduction of a Fallen World' (Crossway, Sept. 2008). Here are 7 excerpts from his book, which I found incredibly helpful and insightful into the whole issue of modesty as Christians and within the church. Take some time to read them and seek the Lord in prayer as to whether you, and possibly your daughters, are already being 'helpful' to your brothers in Christ, or whether you may need to go shopping for something not so tight or revealing.

Cj's wife, Carolyn Mahaney, along with their daughters have written an excellent article they have called 'Modesty Heart Check'. You can find it here and here. Be warned though girls! This is direct, challenging and may be confronting on a practical level!


Another helpful post I came across is from Dan over at Pyromaniacs (yes, this is a Godly website!). He gives some very blunt and insightful comments about modesty from a 'brothers' perspective. He talks candidly about the affect us women can have on men by the way we choose to dress. He doesn't blame the way a woman dresses for the sin in a mans' heart, but he does rightly point out that we often do not do our brothers in the church any favours by putting the temptation of skin in front of their faces! You can read his post here.

Lastly is a great article written by Mary K. Mohler titled, "Modeling Modesty." More biblical, as well as practical help, for women in the challenging area of modesty. Read her full article here.

Bless you all as you continue to glorify the Lord in all areas of your life...including your attire! Have a great week!

No comments: