Thursday, June 5, 2008

Arguing?

Do you have arguments in your house?

What causes fights and quarrels among you? Don't they come from your desires that battle within you? You want something but don't get it. You kill and covet, but you cannot have what you want. You quarrel and fight. You do not have, because you do not ask God. When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures.
You adulterous people, don't you know that friendship with the world is hatred toward God? Anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God. Or do you think Scripture says without reason that the spirit he caused to live in us envies intensely? But he gives us more grace. That is what Scripture says: "God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble."
James 4:1-6

The root cause of quarrels and fighting is envy; setting our hearts on something we want and determining to get it no matter what. James says that we align ourselves with the world when we behave like this. That means that we are God's enemy because the world is not friends with God.

Oh brothers -be humble. Resist evil and submit to God who lifts up the humble.

Tonight I have been reminded about this.

I came home from a class and saw some adjustments to the home taking place but really did not register what was taking place. I left for a meeting and returned. When I returned I went upstairs to change clothes, but my clothes were not in the closet. There were some pretty girl dresses on my side of the closet. "HONEY - WHEre are my CLOTHes GonE?" I half shouted and half spoke.

After I found them I went downstairs and asked my wife, "why"? "Why are we changing things now?" "Don't you know how busy I am"? "Don't you care how this is going to affect us"? "ME"?

So... I come and read James 4.

Why am I upset? Because I ain't getting my own way!

How silly aye?

Thankfully my wife graciously and genuinely accepted my apology and forgave me. Brothers, there is a huge temptation to want things our own way. At least for me there is. I pray you will consider when you and your wife are arguing, and remember why!

Humble yourself and repent if you are the reason why. Seek forgivness from her and God... Then thank God for HIS grace!!!

No comments: