Sunday, August 3, 2008

Meg's Miscellaneous Monday Mentions

Another glorious Monday and more blog posts to point you towards this week, each one packed with nuggets of wisdom that will hopefully point you towards the Lords.

First up this week is an incredibly well written piece by James McDonald, over at Family Reformation, entitled 'Death of a Salesman'. James writes an incredibly honest and insightful piece about the recent death of his father. While it is apparent that his father continued in his ancestors footsteps by choosing a selfish life, James is still able to acknowledge God's grace in his own life, which has allowed him to still glean something from his earthly father, inspite of his upbringing. Both Patrick and I found this post refreshingly honest, and while sad in part, glorious in another, as James gives great glory to God for what the Lord has done. It is well worth reading, especially for those who may struggle with forgiveness or bitterness. It is a wonderful reminder of the forgiveness we have in the Lord when we trust in Him as our Saviour.

Next, a little unusual, but I am actually going to recommend you head over to Stacy McDonalds' blog, Your Sacred Calling (yes, this is James' wife). While she has also written about her father-in-laws' death, it is slightly different in that she addresses how we can use our upbringing as an excuse for sin. I think that this can equally apply to using any bad circumstance or experience as an excuse for sinning - anything from lack of sleep, hormones, illness, betrayal, abuse or death. While the Lord most certainly gives us grace to work through all of these issues, tests, trials and even tragedies, there is nothing in scripture that leads us to believe that the Lord excuses our sin just becuase of what others have done to us, or by terrible circumstances. I pray that the Lord might use what Stacy has written to remind you that the Lord is the Redeemer and He is able to use all things for His glory.

It must be a day of 'unusuals', as I am going to tell you about another blog, rather than give you a link to read it yourself. This past week I read an amazing blog about a young wife/mother dying of cancer. Today I read that she has gone home to be with the Lord, and so I didn't think it was appropriate that I send you all over to read about it. Somehow it seemed intrusive to her grieving family.

So instead, I will tell you briefly of how I was so inspired by the peace and joy that this whole family seemed to radiate as they wrote of this ladies battle with cancer. I imagine she felt very many emotions as death drew nearer, but it seems her goal was to glorify God through this trial and tragedy that she faced.

This left me feeling deeply convicted of how I look at trials and struggles in my own life, none of which have even remotely been life threatening. I am afraid that often my responses are self centred rather than Christ centred, illuminating the fact that my hope and joy are often misplaced in my circumstances, rather than in my awesome Creator and Redeemer. I was greatly encouraged and yet challenged by this family's joy and confidence in their Saviour, as they knew that He was with them regardless of whether God healed this lady or took her to be with Him in heaven.

We know that our days are numbered and that every one of us must face death eventually.

So my questions are these: If you are not a Christian, I would ask you to consider what you will say to God when you meet Him face to face, as He asks you, "Why should I let you into my heaven?" What will you say? I pray that you might come to know Jesus as your Lord and Saviour so that you may be assured of an eternity with Him.

If you are a Christian, then I would ask how are you responding to the trials and tragedies that you face in your life? Are your trials characterised by fear, anxiety, depression, complaining and anger? Or are they characterised by a deep peace and confidence in knowing that your Saviour is with you, even in the face of death?

Yes, we are human and we may give way to many mixed emotions when circumstances are painful and so very hard to bear, but do we ultimately raise our hands to give glory to God, regardless of the pain we may face? I pray that we would all ask the Lord to help us to glorify and praise Him daily, no matter the depth of tragedy we face. There is nothing that He does not see, and nothing that He does not allow us to go through without the grace by which to stand.

1 comment:

Ginger said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog, Meg! I loved those two McDonald posts too. Weren't they great?
Please drop by any time. :)