Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Resolving Parenting Disagreements

Do you have disagreements with your wife about the children? Do you agree or disagree about what the rules should be or what they should not be? How then do you resolve those disagreements? Do you talk about it? Do you just hope that it will go away?

Can I suggest that it is very important that each parent hear the other one out? Sometimes, I just need to shut my mouth and listen. My wife has some good things to say, I just need to shut up, and listen. Sometimes, I think, NO, you need to listen to me... which is not helpful - surprise - surprise!

One Christian Psychologist suggests that; "To achieve a win-win situation, each parent needs to freely express his or her views in a positive way and then be sympathetic and respectful of the spouse's views." I agree with this, however I would only add to this statement. I would add that to achieve a win-win situation, the husband needs to seek to serve his wife, the way Christ serves the Church. One way of serving my wife might be to just listen to her. Then when she is finished, I present my idea's and then together we reach a conclusion that is going to glorify Christ the most. Personally, this sounds amazing, and my wife will be delighted to know I am thinking like this... Now I just need to put this into practice!

So men, let's not avoid the discussion that may need to be had. Initiate the conversation about known disciplinary problems with your children. So for example, is it a problem that the kids are taking food into their room, not picking up toys, constantly resisting going to bed or talking back? If so, resolve together what you are committed to addressing and then set up some consequences for each misbehavior. Be consistent and loving... Remember we are after their hearts, being changed...

I trust you will be able to resolve parenting disagreements, for the glory of God!!!

No comments: