Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Broken Heart Because of Sin


Yesterday was Abigail's birthday. My oldest girl is now 9. As I sat across from her yesterday during devotions, I could not help but be amazed at how quickly time has flown. Meg put it well yesterday. There is no need to rush her out of her innocence of childhood. She is just 9 years old, though she is very mature, we can cherish these times with her and prayerfully instruct her in Biblical femininity.

Now even though it was Abigail's birthday, sin does not take a break. We had a fairly busy day yesterday and about 2:00 pm we had a moment when we were all together. Thankfully Caleb and Abigail reported on a situation that took place that they were upset about.

As they discussed what took place and Meg and I were able to provide instruction and guidance. I noticed that our son was pretty upset. Clarifying why he was upset he said, "because I realize what I have done."

We discussed the appropriate reconciliation steps that would be best. He agreed that that was what he wanted to do but he said, "dad, can we pray first?" As he prayed for the other person and asked for forgiveness, his mother and I were so humbled by his understanding of his sin, but also by his broken heart for his sin. Caleb recognized that he was wrong and was so upset that he had hurt someone else, but he wanted to make things right with God first!

What a great reminder for Meg and I. We can sometimes recognize that we have done something wrong, but we excuse ourselves. "I'm just tired", "They were rude to me", "I was just saying", and so the excuses go on in our hearts, but all the while, the Holy Spirit waits for us to reconcile to God and to man.

Sometimes we know we have hurt someone and we make it right with man - but we don't make it right with God. We need to do both!

May our hearts not grow hardened to sin.

No comments: