Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Tongues and Rudders


Today I want to share with you from James 3:1-12. It is a very powerful passage, that challenges us about the use of our tongues. Though a small bit - leaves lasting impressions.

To master this most uncontrollable and contradictory member of the body is to have perfect self-control. Boy I desire this. When you think about it, only a spark can light a massive forest fire. In the same way, a single word can be just as destructive. How are you using your tongue?

The other image that James uses is that of a ship rudder. Now there are huge vessels in the sea that are being moved about by these small rudders. How easy it is for the small instruments in our mouth, called the tongue, to direct our conversations. When you think of it, our tongues can be used to encourage or to really hurt and wound others.

James 3:1-12 (New International Version)
1) Not many of you should presume to be teachers, my brothers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly. 2) We all stumble in many ways. If anyone is never at fault in what he says, he is a perfect man, able to keep his whole body in check. 3) When we put bits into the mouths of horses to make them obey us, we can turn the whole animal. 4) Or take ships as an example. Although they are so large and are driven by strong winds, they are steered by a very small rudder wherever the pilot wants to go. 5) Likewise the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark. 6) The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole person, sets the whole course of his life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell. 7) All kinds of animals, birds, reptiles and creatures of the sea are being tamed by man, 8) but no man can tame, the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison. 9) With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. 10) Out of same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be. 11) Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring? 12) My brothers, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water.

There is so much in this passage of Scripture. Allow me to highlight something else for you in verse 6, which may be difficult to get our heads around. It seems to mean that through the tongue, 'all evil characteristics of a fallen world find expression'. I think that we can understand this to mean that, it not only pollutes the whole personality, it's evil influence, continues through the whole course of life. So you hurt others with your words as a kid, you may grow up practicing this type of behavior as an adult. Damaging everyone in your life.

You hear that, 'sticks and stones may break bones, but words will never hurt'? Well it is clearly not true! Children are hurt by words. I have done it to my own children. Careless, unhelpful comments are not going to build up our family members. They are going to tear down and destroy.

I was speaking to my wife this morning and telling her about this passage. She did not have to say a word. I know in myself - this is something I need to work on! But actually, I need to repent of this before my Heavenly Father and ask Him to guide my speech. You see, I can't do this on my own! Oh, I can try to fix it myself - but that won't last. God has to change my heart!

May God change our heart's men! For His Glory!

No comments: