Monday, March 8, 2010

Accountability

When you think of accountability, what sort of thoughts race into your mind?

I think accountability is a good thing. It is something that I need in my life and it is something I want in my life. But sometimes as guys we fear accountability. Especially when we read something like this:

These guys meant business!

Early in the 18th century, Samuel Wesley (brother of John Wesley) formed a religious society with regular small-group meetings. Called "Band Societies," these single sex groups were designed to facilitate mutual accountability. All who wished to join were required to answer the following questions as evidence of justification and an accompanying desire to grow in God:

Have you peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ?

Do you desire to be told of your faults?

Do you desire that every one of us should tell you, from time to time, whatsoever is in his heart concerning you?

Consider! Do you desire that we should tell you whatsoever we think, whatsoever we fear, whatsoever we hear, concerning you?

Do you desire that, in doing this, we should come as close as possible, that we should cut to the quick, and search your heart to the bottom?

Is it your desire and design to be on this, and all other occasions, entirely open, so as to speak everything that is in your heart without exception, without disguise, and without reserve?

After joining, group members could be asked the preceding questions "as often as occasion offers," while the following questions were asked at every meeting:
What known sin have you committed since our last meeting?
What temptations have you met with?
How were you delivered?
What have you thought, said, or done, of which you doubt whether it be sin or not?

Now, I would have at one time dodged this sort of accountability, but for some reason I long for this kind of accountability. Why? Because I don't have anything to hide. You see, I hid many things from people I loved and it bound me up so badly. Then Jesus revealed to me that He died for my sins and would change me if I would put my trust in Him. You see, I need/want others looking and watching at how I am living my life. I know in my heart that I avoid accountability when I am doing something that I am ashamed of or in fear of being rebuked or found out for... Oh brothers - learn from my mistakes and make yourself accountable. Many of us are living like this man pictured below. And it ought not be!
Brothers I urge you, make yourself accountable. It will serve you as you seek to lead your wife and children.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is reminiscent of what I have just been reading in the Humility book by CJ Mahaney. It includes a chapter called 'Inviting and pursuing correction' - not easy reading, and even harder to really live out, but I will be seeking to do it
Love and blessings
Pops