Monday, May 17, 2010

Can't sleep

I have been awake since 2:00 AM and am unable to get back to sleep. As I have wrestled around in my bed praying, I thought I should just get up and have some time to pray and read. Then I think to myself, I have to go to work today and the enormity of what needs to be done is playing on my mind - just stay in bed.

I don't know about you and if this happens to you - but I want to testify that a lack of sleep can be something wonderful!

Something wonderful? Yea, something wonderful! Let me share...

So out of bed I fall, and stumble up the stairs. I check emails and facebook to wake myself, and then I open my bible. Here are the words that I have been greatly encouraged and effected by!

For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men. It teaches us to say, "No" to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age, while we wait for
the blessed hope - the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us, to redeem us from all wickedness and to purifyfor himself a people that are his very own, eager to do what is good.


The grace (undeserved gift) of God that brings salvation has appeared to each
and every man, woman and child! - How amazing and staggering to ponder and
meditate on this.

What is salvation you ask? Salvation is the work of God to rescue sinners (you & I) from death and separation from Him!

But this undeserved gift not only rescues us, it teaches us to say, "NO" to ungodliness and worldly passions and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age...

So what is ungodliness and worldly passions?

Let's quickly look at what godliness is and then see if we can define what ungodliness means. When God said let us make man in our own image it did not mean that we would be god-like. I think it meant that we were created with a make-up and capacity that would allow us to have things in common with God. In other words, we would be like God in very specific ways. So let me give you three ways I think we could be like God. 1) We would be able to think like God. 2) We would be able to do things God's way. 3) We would be able to work with God in His plans and purposes.

So if these three fundamental components of godliness are right then the opposite of them would be 1) not thinking like God does. 2) not doing things Gods way. 3) not working with God in His plans and purposes.

And what is strikingly confronting is that ungodliness can be the practice of the believer as well. God's people can think differently than God thinks. They can do things their own way & refuse to work with God and attempt to work independently from God. Not convinced? Have a read of the Exodus. Have a look at the Israelites history. Ask your pastor. It's true.

Now what are worldly passions?

Galatians 5:16-26 is helpful to understanding what these passions are. But in short they are the desires that are contrary (in conflict or opposite) to how we have been instructed/created to live.

So this grace teaches us to say "No" to ungodliness and worldly passions and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age.

I find that so incredible. This grace enables us to live opposite to what we are being encouraged to participate in. So, for example - when I am seeking material security, which we are at all times pushed to seek after, I can preach to myself that God's Word says, "but keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, "Never will I leave you; neither will I forsake you." Heb. 13:5 But conversely, when I am tempted to be lazy, which I can fall into sometimes. I can preach to myself that God's Word says, "Make it your ambition to live a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependant on anyone." 1 Timothy 4:11,12

This grace of God that brings salvation is AMAZING. I'll share more about verses 13 & 14 soon!

I need to get ready for work - but before I go - time with God rejuvenates the soul and enables you to do all that God requires of you. If you are awake & can't sleep, get up and read God's Word! You will be refreshed and encouraged!

No comments: