Sunday, May 18, 2008

2 Perfections - Justification and Sanctification

I love the grace of God in the ministry of C.H. Spurgeon... Have I said that before? The guy is one incredibly gifted man.

I read this reading the other night and thought of the fathers and husbands who may read this blog. My thought was that this may be very encouraging to you, as you labor in the Lord, serving your wife and child(ren). I do pray that you will find great encouragement from this and then share it with your wife and children too...

This is taken from Spurgeon's 'Morning & Evening' daily readings.

'Made perfect' Hebrews 12:23











Recollect that there are two kinds of perfection which
the Christian needs - the perfection of justification in
the person of Jesus, and the perfection of sanctification
wrought in him by the Holy Spirit. At present,
corruption yet remains even in the breasts of the
regenerate - experience soon teaches us this. Within
us are still lusts and evil imaginations. But I rejoice to
know that the day is coming when God shall finish the
work which He has begun: and He shall present my
soul, not only perfect in Christ, but perfect through
the Spirit, without spot or blemish, or any such thing.
Can it be true that this poor sinful heart of mine is
to become holy even as God is holy? Can it be that
this spirit, which often cries, 'O wretched man that
I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this sin
and death?' shall get rid of sin and death - that I shall
have no evil things to vex my ears, and no unholy
thoughts to disturb my peace? Oh, happy hour! may
it be hastened! When I cross the Jordan, the work of
sanctification will be finished; but not till that moment
shall I even claim perfection in myself. Then my spirit
shall have its last baptism in the Holy Spirit's fire.
Methinks I long to die to receive that last and final
purification which shall usher me into heaven. Not
an angel more pure that I shall be, for I shall be able
to say, in double sense, 'I am clean', through Jesus'
blood, and through the Spirit's work. Oh, how should
we extol the power of the Holy Ghost in thus making
us fit to stand before our father in heaven! Yet let not
the hope of perfection hereafter make us content with
imperfection now. If it does this, our hope cannot be
genuine; for a good hope is a purifying thing, even
now. The work of grace must be abiding in us now or it
cannot be perfected then. Let us pray to 'be filled with
the Spirit', that we may bring forth increasingly the
fruits of righteousness.

Amen & Amen!!!

No comments: