Friday, December 5, 2008

Leading in Temptation and Not Tempting My Family

"No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it".

1 Corinthians 10:13

Do you ask yourself, 'what's the good of temptation'?

Oswald Chambers explains that the word 'temptation' has come down in the world; we are apt to use it wrongly. He says, "temptation is not sin, it is the thing we are bound to meet if we are men".

So many times as a husband, father, brother, son, son-in-law etc... I am tempted. I am tempted to be self absorbed. I am tempted to put my needs before others. I am tempted to want my way and not consider how my choice will effect others. It is a real battle. God's Word is such an encouragement to me knowing He will not allow me to be tempted beyond what I can bear. What a wonderful truth to live out, not just mention!

Let me share with you another area that I have recently been considering. It's not only how I am being tempted, but how I can tempt others to sin.

Have you ever considered how you are able to tempt others to sin?

Here are some ways I have discovered that I can tempt my family to sin. I can tempt my family to sin by my actions or lack of actions. I can do this by my tone of voice. Am I yelling, being harsh, patronizing in the way I speak to them or question them? If I am, I need to change this behaviour. It is not serving

In my role, I am tempted in many ways. However God has entrusted me to lead my family. I must consider how I am tempting my family.

I am so grateful that during these times I can run to the Gospel and remind myself of His great saving power! It is in these times I am provided with an opportunity to rehearse the Gospel. For it is the power of salvation to all who believe.

I trust you will consider how you are serving your family when you are being tempted. Are you being tempted to sin? Are you tempting others to sin? Remind yourself of the Gospel of Jesus Christ...

1 comment:

Heart4Adoption said...

Very thoughtful:) Thanks for posting it!