Saturday, February 14, 2009

Preparedness in Dating

Do you prepare to take your bride out for a meal? Not just the babysitter, the reservations, the car washed, the bottle of grog, the details of going out, but do you prepare for the conversation when you are actually out on your date?

Now, I am a lazy bugger sometimes. If I am honest, my wife and I don't "date" as much because it takes so much work. Babysitter for 6 kids, picking a night that serves both of us, assuring that my wife has the time to have a nap, prepare a "easy" meal for 6 kids and have time to doll up to go out with her man. Those little steps can be enough for me not to make the plans. However, I am committed to making this work. And as I have thought about serving my wife on these date nights, the planning does not just stop when we get out the door.

Let me explain.

I want to think of how I can affirm my love and respect for my wife throughout the night. I want her to know that I want to be with her. I want to engage her in meaningful conversation. I want to hear what is on her heart & how she is feeling about being Mrs Chavez.

I have an ability to "check out". I will watch people, look for a TV, zone out and be interested in what other couples are doing and laughing about. Crazy aye?

Thankfully my wife get's my attention with a hand on my hand, a squeeze of my knee or a wink that brings my focus back onto her. Thankfully my wife, is aware of my ADD and knows how to get my attention... She does not brow beat me, or attempt to make me feel guilty, however she will express how it can tempt her to feel like I would rather be someplace else.

Listen guys, I don't want it to be like this. I desire it to be like I earlier mentioned. I think I am getting better but I don't always succeed, however I am going to keep working at it, so check in on me... it's a constant battle to be self absorbed, ain't it?!

So here is how I am preparing:

Exposing my weakness to mates:
Being held accountable:

ORGANIZING the FOLLOWING - Weekly -

Date Night:
Time to go out:
Who is Babysitting:
Reservation:
Is menu "easy":
What do I want to communicate to my bride on the night:

Easy & REWARDING!!!

Try it brothers - because it will help you to parent with an eternal significance...

No comments: