Thursday, February 5, 2009

Some Personal Reading Recommendations

I always appreciate being put on to a good read. Let me serve you with a couple of books that I have been enjoying.

1) 'Since Nobody's perfect... How Good is good enough?' by Andy Stanley

This book is asking some wonderful questions, but then providing some equally wonderful answers. It is a brief but concise book. I am still working through it, but I am finding great encouragement from it!

2) 'The Reason for God' Belief in an Age of Skepticism - by Timothy Keller

Another fantastic read. This one takes a bit longer to work through. I have found that the continual wisdom Mr. Keller pours out takes a bit of pondering. I am still working on this book as well.

3) 'The Prodigal God' Recovering the Heart of the Christian Faith - by Timothy Keller

I thoroughly enjoyed this book! I read most of it in one night because I could not sleep. This book helped me in ways I really needed. The book is about the parable of the prodigal son. Mr Keller has done a fantastic job of explaining this parable and bringing to light the significance that each of the characters represents. This book has helped me readjust my understanding of God and His Grace - which is so rich and free!

4) 'The Invisible Hand' Do All Things Really Work for Good? - by R C Sproul

R C Sproul has written this book so well. I found it easy to digest and read. He has used great illustrations and brought through many truths that many Christians struggle with! Highly recommended.

5) 'Worldiness' Resisting the Seduction of a Fallen World - Edited by C J Mahaney

Love most things that Mr Mahaney has put his paws on. This book is confronting and challenging. Just what we as father's need. How are we protecting the door to our house and what we are allowing to come in and influence our wife and children. The grace and truth the is used to support these biblical idea's is powerful and humbling. I trust it will serve you as a man, husband, and father!

6) 'The Valley of Vision' A collection of Puritan Prayers and Devotions - by Arthur Bennett

This is a must have in your library! Boy have I enjoyed this book thoroughly. It is not a pick up and read cover to cover. It is a complimentary reading, with your own personal devotions. Reading one or two of these prayers a day is good for the soul!

Now I know allot of men say, "I am not a reader". Please brothers, these books will serve you to love your Saviour more, as well as assist you in being a husband and father. Who doesn't want that?

No comments: