Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Read & Study God's Word

I was reading the intro to a book I recently bought. I found these provoking and stirring words: "Much of what we learned has come from studying the Bible - the Answer Book". What a wonderful, humble and transparent confession.

It got me thinking about how I am reading the Bible. Do I view it as a chore, or as a delight? Do I read because I have committed to it or am I studying it because it has Answers. Good questions to consider.

How about you? How are you going with reading your Bible?

If your not doing so well - today is a new day. Pick it up and be encouraged and refreshed. It is the Answer Book!

If you are new to Bible reading you may wonder, how much should I be reading? Well it doesn't really matter how long - just read... Though, I recently was challenged by a colleague at work. He was sharing that some of the leaders at his church challenged them to remember, when they wrote the date 2010 - to let that be a reminder to spend 20 minutes reading God's Word and 10 minutes praying. That's a helpful idea. But if you don't do 20 minutes that doesn't mean you are not acceptable. It's just a suggestion. So - pick up the Bible and learn about the greatest Answer to Life: J-E-S-U-S!

You know, its one of the disciplines I want my children to see my wife and I doing. Why? Because God's Word is full of wisdom. Mostly importantly, it tells us the Gospel of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

I challenge you - to read & study the Bible... You will learn so much about our wonderful Lord, as well as be guided as you seek to parent with an eternal perspective.

No comments: