Friday, April 2, 2010

WARNING, WARNING - what are your kids listening to?

Yesterday, I drove home 11 kids from a year 9 camp. Holy smokes! Have you ever heard of Lady GaGa? I was shocked by the words she sang. I at one stage turned the music down to ask the kids, "did she just say, 'she wants your diseases'"? The kids all laughed and looked stunned I would be shocked by that. Then they hollered, "yes, turn it back up"!


As I reflected on the music that I allowed to be played in my car, I was quite disappointed in myself. Why did I let them play that rubbish? But then I thought, I am quiet glad I did let them listen to it, because it gave me a better glimpse into their world.


Dads, the music industry is out to influence our kids, and it is not for the good, in my opinion. You know, every song was about sex and drugs. I kept thinking to myself about the people who wrote those songs, it exposes such a revelation of their hearts. Hurting, broken, hopeless, wanting out, wanting a cure for their pain. Here's the thing - dad's, listen to your kids, and ask them questions. They are being influenced by what they hear on the radio.


What's interesting to me is that, Lady GaGa speaks of wanting your disease, in quite a grotesque way, but in another way, someone else is able to take our diseases and cure them. In reality, Jesus Christ died for our diseases so we could have life (1 Cor. 15:3).


The pain that is trying to be subsided through sex, drugs, money and alcohol will only make things worse. Dad's, I encourage you to speak to your children and your friends children. Ask them specific questions as to where they are at. And help them sift through some of the lyrics they are listening to. Challenge them on what they are listening to & most importantly, share with them how Christ died for our sins & will cure the disease in our hearts!

No comments: