Monday, August 31, 2009

Wait on the Lord - Psalms 27:14

"Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart
and wait for the Lord."


Do you find it easy to wait?

Not long ago I posted about, 'waiting on the Lord'. Brothers the lesson was once again put to the test.

Spurgeon says that waiting is "one of the postures a Christian soldier learns not without years of teaching".

If you think about it, that is so true. Doing something, even if it is not going to produce anything, helps us feel better. It's hard not to think like this when you hear the likes of Oprah Winfrey explaining that 'God helps those who help themselves'. This is so untrue!

The thing that we need to do is W-A-I-T. How can we wait?

Three suggestions: 1) Wait in prayer! 2) Wait in faith! 3) Wait in quiet patience!

What does that look like? My hero, Spurgeon explains it like this:

1) Wait in prayer - "Call upon God, and spread the case before Him; tell Him your difficulty, and plead His promise of aid."

2) Wait in faith - "Express your unstaggering confidence in Him; for unfaithful, untrusting waiting, is but an insult to the Lord. Believe that if He keep you tarrying even till midnight, yet He will come at the right time; the vision shall come and shall not tarry."

3) Wait in quite Patience - "not rebelling because you are under the affliction, but blessing your God for it." Spurgeon goes on to instruct us not to "murmur against the second cause, as the children of Israel did against Moses; never wish(ing) you could go back to the world (Egypt) again, but accept the case as it is and put it as it stands, simply and with your whole heart, without any self will, into the hand of your covenant God, saying, 'Now, Lord, not my will, but Thine be done'. I know not what to do; I am brought to extremities, but I will wait until Thou will do."

I am in no way advocating we aren't to "do" anything - I am saying that it can be hard to wait on the Lord & when we are required to wait on the Lord - I wanted to suggest these three ideas that Spurgeon so wisely offers. I found them helpful and I trust you will too!

No comments: