Thursday, November 26, 2009

Encouraging Our Children WHEN They Attempt To Share Their Faith

I came home from work the other day and my son filled me in on his day. He said, "Dad, I need to talk to you about something that happened today when we were out." My first thought was, uh-oh, he's got a sex question. "No worries son" I replied, and promised we would catch up before bed.

I went to see my wife and she filled me in on her day and then gave me a heads up about what Caleb was going to be speaking to me about. To my great delight it was not about sex, but it was about how to share the gospel with other kids more effectively.

My son shared with me how he met a boy, who was a couple years younger than him, who asked him if he believed in God. My son quickly confirmed his belief in God and then asked the boy if he believed in God. The other boy readily confessed that he did not believe in God and did not believe that Jesus was God's Son.

As I was drawing my son out he said to me, "dad, if only I could have remembered the verses you taught me about sharing my faith. I just couldn't remember anything", he said disappointingly.

It was then, that I was able to care for my son and remind my son that it is the Holy Spirit that draws all men to Himself. I was also able to encourage him that it is important to memorise God's Word so that we can share them with others. Yet, I wanted to caution him about his disappointment.

You see, some of that disappointment is good and right. I think it served him to sit with it and be discontented with his effort. My prayer is that God will use this to stir my son into becoming a better evangelist.

However, I thought it appropriate to share with my son that his dad has struggled and fumbled when sharing his faith too. You see, I myself have felt as though my tongue has been tied, or my words were incoherent, but I attempted to give an account for the hope that lies within me. So I encouraged my boy that God uses our words even though we don't think He could, because we shared so poorly. And sometimes when we feel disappointed, this disappointment makes us feel as though, because we can't articulate our thoughts properly, we shouldn't, so we stop.

This can only be a ploy from the evil one. I encouraged my son that we must work hard (together) and practice sharing our faith, and practice giving an account for the HOPE that lies within us!

Not sure if you have thought about equipping your 12 or 10 year old children how to share their faith... but if not - please do!

2 comments:

Mike said...

Wow! What a tremendous blessing...to have a child burdened about how to share the gospel more effectively! If only that were our childrens' only struggles, eh?

(Found your blog thru Irish Calvinist, BTW)

PJC said...

Hey Mike - yea, very true! I am anticipating God's grace to equip us to handle ALL circumstances we find ourselves in whilst preparing our children to leave this green house! I look forward to those sanctifying times with joy... can you remind me I wrote this?

Blessings man - God Bless