Thursday, June 25, 2009

OZ Lotto goes to 90 Million Dollars


Some of you may have been tempted.
Some of you would never think of wasting your money on a lotto ticket.
I on the other hand, I bought into the frenzy - when OZ Lotto was at 50 million dollars.
The dreamers imagined themselves spending a mere $136,000.00 a day for a year. Crazy aye?
Well imagine you did buy into the frenzy. You purchase the ticket, justifying that it's just a one off. You hope that you might be the lucky recipient, but then what would you do with the money. It's a crazy and bizarre exercise.
After learning that you haven't won, you feel really deflated and bummed. 'Why did I buy that ticket?' 'What a waste of money', you may think. I did!
Then you learn that no one won the prize. Instead the jackpot has increased to 90 million dollars. Surely purchasing another ticket won't harm anything... Maybe my luck will be better next time. Well, instead of $136,000.00 a day you could spend almost $250,000.00 a day, for a year, I'll just try my luck one more time!
STOP!!! do you see the way we can get sucked into the frenzy? What's even more concerning is the way the mind can justify your behaviour?
In actual fact, this has been a crazy exercise for me. I have seen how my heart wants to have money so that I can be self sufficient. Oh sure I can justify my reasons to also include that I want the money so that I can provide for my children, I can help others etc... But I also know how I long to buy a huge house with all the extras for my large family. I could also buy a new van and a motorbike and a holiday home and a trip to America to visit my family there and a ....
What a discovery of my heart! A desire to not have to wait on God for my daily bread. Oh Lord, forgive this heart of mine...
Please know, those things that I have listed that I want, are not wrong in and of themselves. But I know my heart motive is to not have to wait for these things - but to have them NOW! To not have to ask God for help for these items.
Dad's we are tempted everyday to be self sufficient. To be independent. To be reliant on no one. Oh God help us to be dependant upon you. Especially when we are parenting our children with an eternal perspective...

No comments: