Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Another Idea 4 Dads Leading Devotions

From yesterday's post, let me give you a few more idea's on serving your family by way of devotions.

Now sometimes, I am not able to lead the family in devotions every day. However it is still my responsibility to ensure that this spiritual discipline or practice takes place. Let's face it, things come up that are outside of our control, so there ought to be a way in which our children are learning to have their own times with the Lord and learning.

Here is what we do. I will provide or suggest some things for my children to read & then ask them to write down words they don't understand. Then when I return home, or when mum can sit with them at some stage, we discuss words and understandings of the passage. So for example, Abigail, my oldest girl, loves Psalms 23. The reason she loves it is because she reads it, and re-reads it. Caleb, my oldest, loves to read everything and anything. So he likes challenges. So when he reads Judges or 1 Chronicles, he is invigorated by the account of history and war. He loves trying to pronounce the names & piecing together where they belong in the story of the Bible. Yes, he is 10! I was not that inspired at his age, but we are running with it, while he likes it.

This works well when mum has a Dr.'s appointment or has to go out first thing, and you have a busy schedule, and the demands of the day are not allowing you to all sit together to do devotions. This also works when family members are sick & in bed too.

Here is another scenario. What if you are a dad who has to travel alot and work keeps you from doing daily devotions with your family? *** NOTE*** please know this takes time to develop but it is possible to execute. Or it may be an idea for something you can aim to put into practice. It will do your son or daughter a world of good.

So this is what I have done. I have asked my oldest son Caleb, when I am away for a night or a few days, to lead the family in devotions. I will usually provide him with some suggestions in what he can read with the family. Another thing I have done is given him a simple challenge. Here is one task I have given him. I provided him a memory verse and say that if he can get everyone to memorize it by the time I get home, I will have a reward for everyone.

You may ask, where is his mum? Of course mum is present with an observing and encouraging eye. Mum oversees and encourages her boy to lead well. I must tell you, there is an undescribeable joy when your wife reports that your boy is taking delight in leading the family, and doing it well.

If you have all girls, encourage mum to lead them and model for them what it is to study the Bible, but it still is your responsibility dad, to lead mum in the training of your children in godliness and holiness.

I hope you find these ideas helpful. I am not an expert, but enjoy trying to bring out the best in my family... hoping they will stand before our Savior one day, giving gratitude to the Lord for their Salvation, through Jesus Christ.

No comments: