Monday, July 28, 2008

Dad's Doing Devotions!

Doesn't your back tighten up when someone tells you to do something? I can get that way. But after I settle down, I can handle it better, when someone provides me with some direction on how to do what they are suggesting.

As dad's I think it is often encouraged that we do devotions with our families, or that we should be leading our families in devotions. But sometimes, we don't know what that looks like.

Let me encourage you with what I do. Not that I am an expert, but I find it helpful to hear of how others do it & then I can have a go. So for me, I get a devotional and the bible and find a quiet place for the kids to sit down. We have six! All of us, oldest to youngest, go to the lounge area and sit down. I then start with this devotional story. As I am reading the story I ask lots of questions throughout the story to insure that the kids are listening. I also use lots of pitch tones, and dramatization, for effect. The kids love it. Even the 18 month old. Then we read a passage from the Bible, and conclude in prayer. This sometimes takes ages, because they all want to pray... But we love it and let them!

Here is something some of you won't like, but I will say it anyway. Not just any book is going to do as a devotional. Your local Christian Book Store is out to make money, and they are not doing the hard work for you. As a dad you got to make sure that you are not just teaching your kids to be good kids. That's teaching morality, which is helpful, but not the aim of the game. The aim of the game is to teach your children the Gospel of Jesus Christ. To win their heart. It's not just behavior you want to change. It is the heart you want to change. They need to learn what Jesus commands of us, not how to be nice people.

So you want to keep your ear to the ground for sound biblical resources. Ask your pastor, other godly guys, or a dad who has six kids... LOL - Let me share one with you, that I have found helpful.

Sinclair Ferguson has a great family devotional guide called, "The Big Book of Questions and Answers". He starts from the beginning (Creation), and takes us to the end (The Lord's Return). If you click on the title you can order the book.

Here are the contents of this devotional:

* God is our Creator
* How things went wrong
* God had a plan
* Jesus came to save
* We become like Jesus
* We obey God
* How the Bible helps us
* Learning how to pray
* Belonging to the church
* Jesus will come back

I have done several of these lessons with our children. They love it! You will too. There are great activities Ferguson suggests, which left us all laughing at each other's drawings and hugging each other when we finished. It is so great for the family. They are nice and short too. 10 -15 minutes.

Dad's, please don't let unfamiliar ground be the reason you don't do devotions with your family. Try not to grow weary if it doesn't work out the first couple of times, we had that too. Also don't be afraid to bring discipline and correction during this time. Be consistent and loving. It is meant to be fun & exciting.

Do devotions - your whole family will grow closer to the Savior & in the end - you will then be parenting with an eternal perspective...

No comments: