Thursday, July 24, 2008

Meg's Miscellaneous Monday (or Friday!)

I know it's Friday, but I figured I was either late for last Monday, or early for next Monday! I like to think it is the latter!!!

This week, rather than a theme of 'mentions' to other blog posts, I have a wide variety of topics. My prayer is that they will all challenge and encourage you in your walk with the Lord and how you live that out on a daily basis.
First up is a wonderful post by John Piper at Desiring God entitled "How can eternity influence a mother's daily tasks?". It is a fresh perspective on how our view of parenting should be influenced by the Lord and how He has global purpose, not just a confined view of life within the 4 walls of our home. Here is a quote from his post:

"The women who flourish most and who delight most in that calling—and who are best at it—are not women whose lives are circumscribed by their houses. They are women who are aware of the world. They're aware of God's global purpose. They're aware of the ultimate purposes of God in history. They're aware of things in history and in the far off reaches of the world today that God is doing. And those are part of what they want to build into these children. They want to raise global Christians, world Christians."

Next is a great post called "Costly Hospitality", written by Nicole over at 168 hours. She writes of the amazing sacrifice that Jonathan and Sarah Edwards made when they agreed to open their home up to a terminally ill man, David Brainerd. After they then went onto lose their own daughter as a result of the tuberculosis, probably contracted from Brainerd, they were still able to thank the Lord for the opportunity to care for their dying friend. What an amazing perspective! I was so utterly convicted by this couples commitment to serve the Lord by such a costly display of hospitality, and then to even praise Him inspite of their own loss.

I can sometimes (ok... often!) grumble at the energy it takes to clean my house in order to make it 'presentable' for visitors, which is really just my pride in not wanting them to think this mother of 6 has a messy home! I can also weigh up whether or not I have the time or energy to even invite someone over for coffee, wondering if selfishly it will inconvenience me or my family in some way. How humbling to read of this couple who did not consider it too great a cost to serve the Lord by opening up their home in such a way! I pray the Lord would change my heart in the way I see hospitality and how I can serve the Lord and others.
On a completely different note is a brilliant quote from Charles Spurgeon. He is giving advice to young pastors or those entering into church ministry. You can read his brilliant wisdom here at the Desiring God website.

Lastly, here is an encouraging reminder to keep praying for your loved ones who are yet to know Christ as their personal Lord and Saviour. You can find the whole post titled "This Person Will Never Be Saved" over at The Blazing Centre. It reminded me that nobody is beyond God's reach and that He is powerful enough to save even the most hardened of sinners. He saved me, right? Don't give up praying and remember that the Lord is at work, even through your witness and testimony for His glory.
Here is just a short quote from the piece: "There is no one beyond the reach of God’s fathomless love. Even the most hardened sinner can be broken by the hammer of God’s mercy. Don’t stop praying for the hardened sinners in your life."

Have a great weekend and be encouraged to grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ!

3 comments:

Lori Leigh said...

Meg ~ Thanks so much for your encouraging comment on my blog. I'm glad to find your blog. I enjoyed your post and will check again often. Thanks and have a great weekend!

Jenni said...

Hi Meg,

Just wanted to thank you so much for your kind words over at "my place". I'm tickled that you came out of lurkdom to comment. You have a lovely blog here, and some very pertinent thoughts...I'm going to check out some of those links now.

Jenni

Christina Edwards said...

This is a wonderful site, my husband and I enjoy some of the same blogs as you and yours. I just finished a book by CJ Mahaney's wife. Feminine Appeal was a good read. Have you read it? If not, I am sure that you too will enjoy. God bless you with a wonderful day! :)
Christina