Thursday, April 24, 2008

Awake in the Night?


For some reason I was wide awake at 2:30 AM. This has happened twice now, since my wife has been away. I must confess, there has been an element of fear inside, but on my lips, the name of "Jesus" springs forth. I have nothing to fear. He is with me!

So after I preach to myself, I get up and move around. Today, my wife and kids are coming home. I am quite excited about that!

This got me thinking about others. How many others awake in the night and struggle with fear?

I heard a wonderful sermon one time about being awake in the night. The sermon pointed us to the Psalms, which tells us of what David did in the night. "He remembered your name in the night, O Lord, and kept your law" (Psalms 119:53). "At midnight I rise to praise you, because of your righteous rules" (Psalms 119:62).

Do you think like this? If not, may I encourage you to alter your thinking in this way?

For me, there is alot happening in our lives as a family. I am finishing my degree, and new things are on the horizon. It is an exciting time, and yet as a father, knowing I have 7 other people in tow, I am mindful of how these changes will effect each and everyone of my family members. I am aware of the strengths of each member of my family in handling change, but also the weaknesses and temptations they will face.

Now I have a part to play in this change, but my role is not supreme. You see, I am learning that God is in control. He is the one who brings about His plan's and purposes. My job is to pray and encourage and remind and rejoice and celebrate and correct and rebuke and exhort my family members as we keep our eyes on Him through these unknown days and times. I can't lead my family in the ways of the Lord, unless I am spending time with Him. Sometimes it is at 2:30 in the morning!

Can I tell you something - these are sweet times!

What a wonderful, awesome privilege it is to lay our burdens down and declare how great and awesome, and worthy, and holy, and gracious, and majestic our God is!

No comments: