Monday, April 7, 2008

Megs' Miscellaneous Monday Mentions

Patrick has allowed me a "weekly guest appearance" on his blog! He may regret that decision later... but for now, I shall plunge in and direct you to some good reading that I have found elsewhere in the Blogosphere this week! (Every effort has been made to only link you to other websites that are Biblically sound. However, as we have most likely not read everything posted on the websites we link to, we can not vouch for the content of the entire website. If you come across anything 'unsavoury', please don't hesitate to let us know!)
The following article was an excellent reminder for us all as parents (and grandparents) to be praying for our children/grandchildren. It is God who draws people to Himself, but we may never know the effect that our prayers may have in the lives of our children and the children of future generations. You can read the full article here!


Next up is some encouragement for those of us who struggle to get up early to spend time reading the Bible and praying (yes, that would include both Patrick and I!!!). With all of our very busy and tiring schedules, it can be a constant struggle for many of us to daily spend time with the Lord. Morning comes around too fast, midday is too busy, and by the time evening rolls around, other things such as the tv, a good book (not the Good Book) or sleeping holds a far greater attraction than spending time with the Lord. Believe me when I tell you that I do not say these things out of condemnation, but rather out of my own daily struggle with the very things I have mentioned above!!!

"I’m now 54 years old, so even after 35 years, I can assure you tomorrow morning when I first awaken, the first voice I hear will be a voice of protest. That voice will be distinctly the presence of indwelling sin appealing to me and seeking to persuade me to stay in bed. That voice never subsides. And that voice also negotiates, so that if I make an initial movement, that voice doesn’t subside and assume that that voice has
lost. No. That voice continues to exert effort, and then presents to me various distractions."

CJ goes onto say:

"Actually, I would say that the initial challenge is just
getting out of bed. That is why I would recommend for all who are listening to set your radio alarm across the room. Here has what’s helped me in the past: place the radio alarm across the room and set it to a country radio station. That motivates me out of bed!"

In light of this, Patrick and I took great encouragement from the words of CJ Mahaney, who has shared his own struggles of getting up out of bed every day to spend time with his Savior first. We were challenged to keep on praying for the strength we need daily to make time with the Lord a priority, even over a few more minutes of much needed sleep!

Well, that's all from me! Bless you all and have an awesome week serving the Lord!

No comments: