Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Mercy Triumphs Over Judgment - James 2:13

I love Gods Word! I love it because it reveals truth. You see "wisdom lies in knowing God and knowing oneself", Calvin teaches us. So wisdom starts with God. Not the reverse. So what we learn from this is that, knowledge moves us to consider our place in honoring God. Truly this is a gift from Him, in order that we might come to know Him and honor Him with our life.

I have been really enjoying reading the book of James. Admittedly James is a little difficult to read through, because of its many starts and stops, twists and turns. However along with seeing the threads that hold things together, let me highlight a matter that should help us to read this letter with a better understanding.

When reading, we will find the letter to have a variety of kinds of material in it, all of it directed specifically at Christian behavior, rather than proposing Christian doctrine. Included are a number of sayings that look like Old Testament wisdom on the one hand and the teachings of Jesus on the other. That is to say that as much as the Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke & John) often present the teaching of Jesus in the form of sayings, which at times ring with echoes of Jewish wisdom, so we find in James.

I think it is helpful to tell you this because in chapter two verses one to thirteen we are going to read that to care for the poor means to show no favoritism toward the rich; to do so is sin, and to do otherwise - to lack mercy - means to come under judgment. Let's look at the words together...

James 2:1-13
My brothers, as believers in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ, don't show favoritism. Suppose a man comest into your meeting wearing a gold ring and fine clothes, and a poor man in shabby clothes also comes in. If you show special attention to the man wearing fine clothes and say, "Here's a good seat for you." but say to the poor man, "You stand there" or "Sit on the floor by my feet," have you not discriminated among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts?
Listen, my dear brothers: Has not God chosen those who are poor in the eyes of the world to be rich in faith and to inherit the kingdom he promised those who love him? But you have insulted the poor. Is it not the rich who are exploiting you? Are they not the ones who are dragging you into court? Are they not the ones who are slandering the noble name of him to whom you belong?
If you really keep the royal law found in Scripture, "Love your neighbor as yourself," you are doing right. But if you show favoritism, you sin and are convicted by the law as lawbreakers. For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it. For he who said, "Do not commit adultery," also said, "Do not murder." If you do not commit adultery but do commit murder, you have become a law breaker.
Speak and act as those who are going to be judged by the law that gives freedom,, because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment!

You know, as dad's we have a great opportunity to model for our wife and children how to care for the poor and needy. Actually, we are already doing this! A good question to ask ourselves is how do we act when we meet a potential client who wants to use our business/services vs. the way a beggar on the streets needs our assistance?

I have a lasting memory of my dad, a successful business man, who was greeted by a beggar in a parking lot of a shopping center. He was approached by this man who reaked of alcohol. I was watching very intently as to what my dad was going to do. If memory serves me I got into the car and rolled the window down so I could hear what was being said. But what I saw has helped me shape my way of helping the poor. Let me tell you what my dad did. My dad spent time talking to this man for awhile, and then after listening to him this is what he did. He offered the man to go back into the grocery store and buy him a sandwich and some water. He refused to give the man cash because he did not want him to use it on alcohol. I was so proud of my dad for the way he handled this. It truly has helped me to have a care for the poor but also provided me with a way to help others.

Now this is not to say I would never offer cash to someone, but I was grateful to be with my dad who modeled for me how to care for the poor, for truly he did care for the poor. He listened and then prayed and then provided.

Dad's, God has given you resources! This is a gift of grace upon your life! Use it wisely! For His glory- keeping your eyes on eternity!

No comments: