Thursday, April 3, 2008

Caleb & Noah




These are my boys. Caleb & Noah! Last night we had our time together. Noah joined us for the first bit and then decided he would go to bed. Last night we talked about a man known as Great Grandpa Cornelius, who at the age of 6 started driving a team of horses. Noah is six now! He was quite impressed with this.

Basically I asked the boys these questions:

1) Do you have the ability and the drive to support a family?
2) Are you moving in this direction?
3) Do you prefer to play and let someone else provide for you?
4) Do you have the idea that when you are older you will work but for now you get to play?
5) Are you a liability or an asset?
6) What are some things that you can think of that hinder boys from developing into good providers
7) What are some jobs a young man your age could do?
8) If you don't have money, what are some things you could do to help provide food and shelter for your family?
9) What can you do today to earn income?
10) Do you know your dad loves you?

Now let me clarify something. My job is to raise my boys to become men. I am not trying to rob my boys of their childhood. However I am equipping them with some tools that will have a lasting effect, I pray!

You see, I could just hope that they get it. I can just hope that they will figure it out. Or I can take the God given responsibility to train my boys while they are young.

I read this great description the other day about tracks of human beings found on the banks of the Mississippi River. These tracks were made in soft clay, which in time became hardened, and formed into stone. Now the impressions are immovable. My children at these ages are soft clay. Every thing they are coming into contact with is making an impression. But as they grow older, their character acquires solidity, and less and less is affected by these influences, till at length it will be like hard stone, and the impressions made upon them at this season will become confirmed habits.

Dads, ask the hard questions. Get your young boys to think about providing for a family. Teach them about money, teach them about giving, teach them about honoring your wife and your daughters. Actually, you are teaching them...by the way you are living it.

I pray you will parent with an eternal perspective in mind...

No comments: